THE BROWNS BOARD

Training Camp Battles (by position group): Defensive LIne

thenew23

A position group of strength and depth for this team. Not too much battling going on, sans injuries...

11 players listed as D-linemen coming to camp. Here's what I see...

Starting front 3 - Phil Taylor NT, Ahtyba Rubin DE, Desmond Bryant DE

These are the guys. Taylor and Rubin stuff the run, and Bryant is able to get to the QB from the DE spot. It's a perfect situation, if they can stay healthy, these guys are disruptive and trully set the tone for the entire defense.

Backup DEs - Billy Winn and John Hughes

These guys will both make the roster as they provide excellent depth and versatility along the front. Both can play DE or DT, and can get involved in 4-man fronts. Winn will even have a shot to unseat D.Bryant, but either way all 5 of the above will play significant minutes.

Backup NT - Ishmaa'iyl Kitchen vs Calvin Barnett

A lot of good coming from OTAs and minicamp about UDFA Calvin Barnett. He seems more versatile than Kitchen, who is purely a NT, which Pettine seems to value. I don't see both guys fitting on the roster, so this is one of the only significant battles I forsee in this unit.

Possible roster spot as a DL7 - Loser of above vs Armonty Bryant vs Justin Staples vs Cam Henderson vs Jacobbi McDaniel

IF we decide to keep 7 DL on the 53-man roster, there is some talent left here, particularly with the way Armonty Bryant showed his ability last season to get to the QB. Staples also looked good last preseason as a potential pass-rushing DL.

Eligible for Practice Squad - Calvin Barnett, Jacobbi McDaniel, Justin Staples

My picks:

NT - Phil Taylor

LDE - Ahtyba Rubin

RDE - Desmond Bryant

DE3 - Billy Winn

DE4 - John Hughes

NT2 - Calvin Barnett

DE5 - Armonty Bryant

Release - Kitchen, McDaniel, Henderson, Staples

Pettine uses multiple fronts, as reported, eventhough his base is a 3-4, Buffalo lined up with 4 linemen quiet often. Reports are, Sheard will be the guy as the 4th down lineman much of the time, but I think keeping 7 of these guys can be beneficial. I was very impressed by Armonty Bryant last season, and I think he can only get better. Plus, having guys like Winn and Hughes providing depth trully make this position group THE strongest group on the team.

Next up... Linebackers...

I predict the new Browns defense is going to startle a lot of folks.

It seems to be solid from one side to the other, and the players

are excited about the defensive plans set in place.

My picks:

NT - Phil Taylor / LDE - Ahtyba Rubin / RDE - Desmond Bryant

DE3 - Billy Winn / DE4 - John Hughes / NT2 - Calvin Barnett / DE5 - Armonty Bryant

I just love Billy Winn's motor... always have. I think this may be the year when he cracks the starting line-up... most likely in lieu of Bryant. That said the DL rotation in today's NFL is so pronounced that the major difference between starter and first sub can be a small as who runs on the field for intro's.

I see Hughes as NT2/ DT. Not saying he will not get some reps at DE, but he's much more productive inside.

If Barnett is in the running to replace Kitchen as a back-up NT, then he must be a lot stronger than he showed at his pro day where he did only 20 reps.

I don't really see how we justify Armonty B. taking a roster spot. He's too small for a 3-4 DE and we can put Sheard, Mingo or even Kruger down in a three-point when we go 4-3.

Staples is still listed as a LB on the roster...

Have to pass commenting on the rest until pre-season.

I like Kitchen, wouldn't want to see him go.

If there is a major surprise, it will be Rubin being released in camp and Winn taking over.

Rubin is in his last year, so if they like someone better they will have no problem cutting bait.

Zombo

A position group of strength and depth for this team. Not too much battling going on, sans injuries...

11 players listed as D-linemen coming to camp. Here's what I see...

Starting front 3 - Phil Taylor NT, Ahtyba Rubin DE, Desmond Bryant DE

These are the guys. Taylor and Rubin stuff the run, and Bryant is able to get to the QB from the DE spot. It's a perfect situation, if they can stay healthy, these guys are disruptive and trully set the tone for the entire defense.

Backup DEs - Billy Winn and John Hughes

These guys will both make the roster as they provide excellent depth and versatility along the front. Both can play DE or DT, and can get involved in 4-man fronts. Winn will even have a shot to unseat D.Bryant, but either way all 5 of the above will play significant minutes.

Backup NT - Ishmaa'iyl Kitchen vs Calvin Barnett

A lot of good coming from OTAs and minicamp about UDFA Calvin Barnett. He seems more versatile than Kitchen, who is purely a NT, which Pettine seems to value. I don't see both guys fitting on the roster, so this is one of the only significant battles I forsee in this unit.

Possible roster spot as a DL7 - Loser of above vs Armonty Bryant vs Justin Staples vs Cam Henderson vs Jacobbi McDaniel

IF we decide to keep 7 DL on the 53-man roster, there is some talent left here, particularly with the way Armonty Bryant showed his ability last season to get to the QB. Staples also looked good last preseason as a potential pass-rushing DL.

Eligible for Practice Squad - Calvin Barnett, Jacobbi McDaniel, Justin Staples

My picks:

NT - Phil Taylor

LDE - Ahtyba Rubin

RDE - Desmond Bryant

DE3 - Billy Winn

DE4 - John Hughes

NT2 - Calvin Barnett

DE5 - Armonty Bryant

Pettine uses multiple fronts, as reported, eventhough his base is a 3-4, Buffalo lined up with 4 linemen quiet often. Reports are, Sheard will be the guy as the 4th down lineman much of the time, but I think keeping 7 of these guys can be beneficial. I was very impressed by Armonty Bryant last season, and I think he can only get better. Plus, having guys like Winn and Hughes providing depth trully make this position group THE strongest group on the team.

Next up... Linebackers...

uh...ya nailed it.

nuff said.

listen, all you really need to know is that bryant rubin and taylor are set number one....

bryant, rubin and taylor are set number two and set number three.

injury comes along then they'll be a mixmatch bunch of other contenders on the sidelines ready to fill in....BUT THOSE ARE OUR STARTERS AND THE BEST # PACKAGE OF THIS CONFERENCE,

EASILY.

Archived