THE BROWNS BOARD

Training Camp Battles (by position group): Offensive Line

thenew23

14 O-linemen currently on the precamp roster. Should be great competetion. Here's what I see:

Starting Center and Left Tackle: Mack and Thomas

No competetion.

Starting Right Tackle - Mitchel Schwartz vs Paul McQuiston vs Martin Wallace vs Chris Faulk

As of now, Schwartz gets the edge over the other guys. Schwartz has not missed a snap yet, and showed on film last year that he can get the job done with a decent RG playing next to him. His struggles came early in the season when Cousins was basically falling over every play next to him. Schwartz should play with much more confidence with a better G on his side. McQuiston is experienced and versatile which should help him make this a competetion, and Wallace has some talent. Chris Faulk is the unknown, but his raw talent might show up if/when he is healthy.

Starting Left Guard - Joel Bitonio vs Garrett Gilkey vs Jason Pinkston vs Paul McQuiston

Bitonio suffered a high ankle sprain in minicamp, which is not good, but all indications are that he will be there day 1 of training camp. He IS a rookie and has 3 guys with more experience fighting to start on this line. I'd love to see what Bitonio can do, but these other guys are good players and have a shot at pushing the rookie down the depth chart.

Starting Right Guard - John Greco vs 3 losers of LG battle

Greco will move to the right side to stabilize the spot next to Schwartz (in theory). It makes sense given his experience; however, as I have already said, Greco will still have to fight for his spot b/c there are 5 pretty legit Guards on this team battling for 2 starting positions.

Reserves - Losers of above vs Reid Fragel vs Jeremiah Warren vs Keavon Milton vs Alex Parsons vs Randall Harris

Farmer has done a good job of bringing in talented and versatile players all along the offensive line. Only 2 starting spots are "set in stone" and there will be major competetion to set the final 5 starters, as well as the 3-5 guys who will round out the 53-man. Guys like Fragel, Warren, and Wallace will be fighting like hell to make this team. Hopefully, that makes the whole unit better.

Eligible for Practice Squad: Faulk, Fragel, Harris, Warren

My picks to make the roster:

LT - Joe Thomas

LG - Joel Bitonio

C - Alex Mack

RG - John Greco

RT - Mitchel Schwartz

OL6 - Paul McQuiston

OL7 - Jason Pinkston

OL8 - Garrett Gilkey

OL9 - Martin Wallace

PS - Chris Faulk

Release - Fragel, Warren, Parsons, Milton, Harris

I like the move to put Greco next to Schwartz. I think that in-itself makes the o-line better. Not to mention, adding a bruiser in Bitonio to solidify the spot between Thomas and Mack... where better to be as a rookie? McQuiston and Gilkey can play G or T which gives them added value. Pinkston is too talented to release, but I could see it happening just based on his injury history. If he is not 100% throughout camp and the preseason, I'm probably done with him, and possibly keep a guy like Fragel around. Martin Wallace becomes our backup T, and I have confidence in him sticking around. Faulk sticks on the PS...

Wide Receivers will be next...

Thanks for doing these posts, I kinda like 'em. I have a tough time giving due diligence to some of these guys I don't know so well though. Tried to do a little digging.

I just don't see the Browns taking 9 OL on the active roster. Isn't it the norm to have your 5 starters and 2 or 3 subs at the most? Sure, Mack and Thomas are locks. I actually think this is going to be a breakout year for Schwartz, based on nothing more than growth and continuity, and a little hope. I just think that's important with the Oline, having a group of guys that have worked with each other a while.

Greco gets a nod for me for for pretty much the same reason. I don't remember getting too mad at him last season.

The other guard spot is up in the air for me. I give the nod to McQuistan figuring the present FO went out and got him to compete for the job, experienced, supposedly a good fit for Shanny's offense. And make Bitonio one of your primary subs. The other primary sub's gotta be someone who can play center. Of the other guys I looked up Warren listed as a Guard in one place and a Center somewhere else. So, whatever that means.

Chris Faulk appears to be the guy that was top round talent, until he got hurt.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/05/free-agent_signee_chris_faulk.html

Garrett Gilkey apparently has a penchant for scuffling with his own team.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/06/garrett_gilkeys_most_important.html

And I kinda forgot about this but Pinkston had that blood clot in his lung. This'll break your heart.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/12/post_177.html

Milton is apparently a converted TE playing Tackle. Interesting. I think it's cool when the refs say, "And so and so is eligible." And all the ladies take notice.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/09/te_keavon_milton_gets_chance_w.html

I think four of the starting spots are a lock with Greco mr favorite to start at RG. If Pinkston is healthy and adjusts really well to Shanny's zone blocking he could steal that spot, otherwise I think they trade him off for a conditional late rounder because he doesn't make as versatile abackup as the others.

Gilkey and McQ are good bets for the roster ... Maybe between Wallace and Faulk for 8th and final spot.

But there will be injuries .... So these othe guys are going to come into play, let's hope one is an uncovered gem.

Z

looks like the D will key run defenses against on the left side.

i thought schwartz would either get replaced or get some help and i thought that was what bitonio got drafted for.

The thinking goes that Greco is our best, most experienced guard currently, and will be a bigger help to Schwartz while Bitonio, who will hopefully become our best guard, gets settled in nice and comfortably between Thomas and Mack. Maybe next year they switch.

LT - Joe Thomas, LG - Joel Bitonio, C - Alex Mack, RG - John Greco, RT - Mitchel Schwartz

OL6 - Paul McQuiston, OL7 - Jason Pinkston, OL8 - Garrett Gilkey, OL9 - Martin Wallace, PS - Chris Faulk

Also want to add my thanks for this series of threads.

Agree with the starting 5 except for RT...

In 2014 I consistently graded Schwartz the lowest this side of O'Neil Cousins. Not only can he not handle a speed rush, but Mitchell also cannot hit a speed target. I hope we have someone on the roster that can beat him out at RT because if we do not, then I think we are in trouble. Slow footed does not translate well to a zone scheme.

The RT candidates I see are McQuiston and Wallace. I think the latter has a shot, and is easily the best pass protection option, but Paul Mc is the well-rounded vet that may well get the nod. If Schwartz loses his starting job, I think he is gone.

Regardless of the RT starter I see Greco at RG as it will better balance the line.

What's nice is that there appear to be at least three natural, OG/OT swingmen in the bunch. It's the kind of flexibility that tempt a team to go with 8 OL, but I see us going with 9 as well. However, I see a different 9...

I'm guessing one of the OP's five release candidates will stick as the new, fresh-blood, developmental PS designee. Also that one of the current projects, Gilkey or Faulk, may be gone. I loved Gilkey last pre-season, but am not sure how he will take to the zone scheme. However, Faulk is an even bigger question mark due to lack of data and injury.

Agree with the starting 5 except for RT...

In 2014 I consistently graded Schwartz the lowest this side of O'Neil Cousins. Not only can he not handle a speed rush, but Mitchell also cannot hit a speed target. I hope we have someone on the roster that can beat him out at RT because if we do not, then I think we are in trouble. Slow footed does not translate well to a zone scheme.

The RT candidates I see are McQuiston and Wallace. I think the latter has a shot, and is easily the best pass protection option, but Paul Mc is the well-rounded vet that may well get the nod. If Schwartz loses his starting job, I think he is gone.

Regardless of the RT starter I see Greco at RG as it will better balance the.

I appreciate this insight. I gotta admit with Olinemen it's tough for me to form my own opinion based on what l see myself. I just about gotta DVR the game and watch the same play 5 times in slow mo, but living out of the market l only get a shot at so many games. I kinda enjoy doing it when l get the chance though.

What is it about Wallace that you like? I couldn't find much on him other that he was with the Browns last year and was inactive for a few games. I guess my thought was he was an old regime guy who didn't get much of a chance to make an impact, so l didn't think chances were good for him.

I appreciate this insight. I gotta admit with Olinemen it's tough for me to form my own opinion based on what l see myself. I just about gotta DVR the game and watch the same play 5 times in slow mo, but living out of the market l only get a shot at so many games. I kinda enjoy doing it when l get the chance though.

What is it about Wallace that you like? I couldn't find much on him other that he was with the Browns last year and was inactive for a few games. I guess my thought was he was an old regime guy who didn't get much of a chance to make an impact, so l didn't think chances were good for him.

Thanks... I DVR and grade the OL nearly every game.

Wallace is still a kid, a UFA out of Temple in 2013 that made the 53-man roster. His pass protection technique caught my eye last pre-season as the 2nd team LT. His feet and hip flex both looked really good. However, he did have issue with bull rush a couple times. Did not look like anything the weight room could not fix. More zone scheme in the run game should play to his strengths.

14 O-linemen currently on the precamp roster. Should be great competetion. Here's what I see:

Starting Center and Left Tackle: Mack and Thomas

No competetion.

Starting Right Tackle - Mitchel Schwartz vs Paul McQuiston vs Martin Wallace vs Chris Faulk

As of now, Schwartz gets the edge over the other guys. Schwartz has not missed a snap yet, and showed on film last year that he can get the job done with a decent RG playing next to him. His struggles came early in the season when Cousins was basically falling over every play next to him. Schwartz should play with much more confidence with a better G on his side. McQuiston is experienced and versatile which should help him make this a competetion, and Wallace has some talent. Chris Faulk is the unknown, but his raw talent might show up if/when he is healthy.

Starting Left Guard - Joel Bitonio vs Garrett Gilkey vs Jason Pinkston vs Paul McQuiston

Bitonio suffered a high ankle sprain in minicamp, which is not good, but all indications are that he will be there day 1 of training camp. He IS a rookie and has 3 guys with more experience fighting to start on this line. I'd love to see what Bitonio can do, but these other guys are good players and have a shot at pushing the rookie down the depth chart.

Starting Right Guard - John Greco vs 3 losers of LG battle

Greco will move to the right side to stabilize the spot next to Schwartz (in theory). It makes sense given his experience; however, as I have already said, Greco will still have to fight for his spot b/c there are 5 pretty legit Guards on this team battling for 2 starting positions.

Reserves - Losers of above vs Reid Fragel vs Jeremiah Warren vs Keavon Milton vs Alex Parsons vs Randall Harris

Farmer has done a good job of bringing in talented and versatile players all along the offensive line. Only 2 starting spots are "set in stone" and there will be major competetion to set the final 5 starters, as well as the 3-5 guys who will round out the 53-man. Guys like Fragel, Warren, and Wallace will be fighting like hell to make this team. Hopefully, that makes the whole unit better.

Eligible for Practice Squad: Faulk, Fragel, Harris, Warren

LT - Joe Thomas

LG - Joel Bitonio

C - Alex Mack

RG - John Greco

RT - Mitchel Schwartz

OL6 - Paul McQuiston

OL7 - Jason Pinkston

OL8 - Garrett Gilkey

OL9 - Martin Wallace

PS - Chris Faulk

I like the move to put Greco next to Schwartz. I think that in-itself makes the o-line better. Not to mention, adding a bruiser in Bitonio to solidify the spot between Thomas and Mack... where better to be as a rookie? McQuiston and Gilkey can play G or T which gives them added value. Pinkston is too talented to release, but I could see it happening just based on his injury history. If he is not 100% throughout camp and the preseason, I'm probably done with him, and possibly keep a guy like Fragel around. Martin Wallace becomes our backup T, and I have confidence in him sticking around. Faulk sticks on the PS...

Wide Receivers will be next...

Are you forgetting about Yount or does he fall into another catagory?

Archived