THE BROWNS BOARD

Is There Hope For Gordon? Maybe 4-8 Weeks?

darubes

PI-NFL-JoshGordon-Suspension-050914.vada
Jim Rogash / Getty Images North America

The situation around the potential suspension of Browns WR Josh Gordon remains cloudy.

FFB14_ad300x100.jpg

Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon is facing a lengthy NFL suspension for violating the league's substance-abuse policy, but the circumstances surrounding the matter remain cloudy.

ESPN reported earlier this month that Gordon was headed for a year-long ban after failing a drug test for marijuana. FOX Sports 1 NFL insider Mike Garafolo reported that Gordon hopes to have the suspension reduced to four to six games upon appeal.

Neither the Browns nor Gordon's camp have provided details on what exactly happened. But new Oakland Raiders wide receiver Greg Little -- who is one of Gordon's close friends and a Browns teammates until being waived last week -- indicated Thursday night that the suspension may not stem from something as simple as a positive urine sample.

"He's a guy that's going to work to get back and show this is a mistake," Little told co-host Bill Polian and me about Gordon on SiriusXM NFL Radio. "It's something that wasn't in his control, so to speak. I don't want to get into too much detail about it."

Although Little wouldn't elaborate further, one possibility is that Gordon missed a random NFL drug test that he was subject to taking. A missed test would automatically be considered a positive under the league's substance-abuse policy.

Gordon also could potentially try to appeal based upon the belief that the testing process was flawed. Last year, Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman had a four-game suspension under the NFL's performance-enhancing drug policy overturned by arguing that the testing protocol was compromised by a leaky cup containing his urine sample.

FOX SPORTS DAILY NFL TEAM EDITION
NFL NEWS TO YOUR INBOX!
CHOOSE YOUR TEAM(S)

*By clicking "SUBSCRIBE", you have read and agreed to the Fox Sports Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

SUBSCRIBE

Gordon already was in the NFL's substance-abuse program at the time of his most recent failed test. He served a two-game suspension last season and was fined two more paychecks after testing positive for codeine, an ingredient in cough syrup that is banned by the NFL because it also can be used as a recreational drug.

Gordon returned from the suspension to enjoy a breakthrough season with 87 receptions for a league-high 1,646 yards and nine touchdowns despite missing Cleveland's first two games. Making the accomplishment even more impressive, Gordon was forced to catch passes from three different quarterbacks as the Browns foundered to a 4-12 season.

"In all the years they've been throwing (the football) around he's the only guy to ever put together 200-yard back-to-back games," said Little, referring to Gordon's record-setting performances in Week 12 and 13 against Pittsburgh and Jacksonville.

"That alone (shows) what type of talent he has. I applaud the Browns for sticking by his side."

Gordon is participating in Cleveland's offseason workout program while waiting to learn whether his appeal of the pending suspension is successful.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"new Oakland Raiders wide receiver Greg Little -- who is one of Gordon's close friends and a Browns teammates until being waived last week -- indicated Thursday night that the suspension may not stem from something as simple as a positive urine sample.

"He's a guy that's going to work to get back and show this is a mistake," Little told co-host Bill Polian and me about Gordon on SiriusXM NFL Radio. "It's something that wasn't in his control, so to speak. I don't want to get into too much detail about it."

Although Little wouldn't elaborate further, one possibility is that Gordon missed a random NFL drug test that he was subject to taking. A missed test would automatically be considered a positive under the league's substance-abuse policy."

I have been following this case since it came out, and I have read the entire NFL Substance Abuse Policy and continue to hear things that lead me to believe that there is almost NO WAY Gordon is suspended for the entire year.

Being a full-time substance abuse professional, believe me I have opinions about testing for substance abuse. From a person who has given literally 1000's of urine screens over the years, I can say 3 things:

Drug Testing procedures are NOT perfect, they are NOT always fair, and the results of tests are NOT always accurate,

Three things need to be checked, re-checked, and checked again:

A) Was the process followed all the way through? Meaning: was the equipment in working order and were the people involved following all required procedures.

B) If it was a random urine screen, was the testee given ample notice and time to produce a sample? Meaning: I give clients 2 hours to produce a sample, BUT I wait until they are at the facility. IF I call somebody into the facility for a random sample, I give them 12 hours to get to the facility and 2 hours once they are there. Was a similar process followed with Gordon, or was he asked to be somewhere unfairly or without enough notice?

C) The NFL uses a "B-cup" to re-test if the player disputes the results, which is really smart for them. The odds of a test showing inaccurate results is probably 1%, so they use a second sample to re-test. What are the odds of two tests being inaccurate? Well... you do the math...

If any of those 3 things are not followed 100%, there is a good chance appeal will work. Drug screens are ONLY valid IF there is nothing extraneous that could have impacted the testing process. The entire "diluted test is considered positive" and "missed test is considered positive" cannot be an ALL THE TIME or WITHOUT EXCEPTION type of rule b/c I have seen many diluted tests that need re-tested to get accurate results, and I have heard many legitimate reasons for people to have missed tests...

I'm just saying... Drug testing is not ALWAYS "black or white." There are a lot of variables. I've always found that a drug screen is most useful b/c it adds pressure on people to admit when they have used something they shouldn't have, regardless of the results. I would think Gordon has a pretty good shot at appeal, as long as he doesn't admit to using.

Again, just speculation... Without knowing the facts...

Which if true, and he has stayed off the pot, this is just as stupid as smoking it. Unless he has a damn good reason for missing the test.

Not necessary, because yes he will be suspended but technically there is no proof of usage. From some of the posts in here (info I got) this might be a good thing.

So maybe Josh Gordon didn’t fail a drug test after all? As the Cleveland Browns’ wide receiver’s drug-related situtation continues to unfold, more and more wrinkles keep popping up. The latest comes from former Browns receiver Greg Little, who recently spoke about his friend’s alleged policy violation, calling it a “mistake.”

He’s a guy that’s going to work to get back and show this is a mistake,” Little told co-host Bill Polian and me about Gordon on SiriusXM NFL Radio. “It’s something that wasn’t in his control, so to speak. I don’t want to get into too much detail about it.”

ESPN’s Outside the Lines reported earlier this month that Gordon was headed for a year-long ban after failing a drug test for marijuana. Immediately following this report, Gordon’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus, stated that his client did not fail a drug test. FOX Sports 1 NFL insider Mike Garafolo reported that Gordon had hoped to have the suspension reduced to four-to-six games upon appeal. But it is FOX Sports’ Alex Marvez who speculates that Gordon may have simply missed a drug test, as opposed to failing one.

Unfrortunately for Gordon and the Browns, a missed test is automatically considered a positive result under the league’s substance-abuse policy.

Neither the Browns nor Gordon’s camp have provided details on what exactly happened. Gordon has been taking part in team OTAs while he awaits the NFL’s ruling on the matter. In 2013, he hauled in 87 receptions for a league-high 1,646 yards and nine touchdowns despite missing the team’s first two games. He eventually represented the Browns in the Pro Bowl.

Really good post, 23... but suggest you work on the following phrasing... ;)

Being a full-time substance abuse professional...

Also kudos to Mr. Little who did not let any bitterness towards his friend's organization keep him from speaking up for his friend.

I wish we would have traded the guy. He is a good player, but you can't count on him.

Sorry,you just dont give up on him. not with that kind of talent he has...The kid is young. How many mistakes did you make when you were young?. Maybe I dont like the way you fart so I'll just get rid of you. If he was a thug. it would be a whole different matter. but,he's not.... Give the kid an honest chance to make it.I mean Ray Rice beat up his ol'lady for christ sake.

Sorry,you just dont give up on him. not with that kind of talent he has...The kid is young. How many mistakes did you make when you were young?. Maybe I dont like the way you fart so I'll just get rid of you. If he was a thug. it would be a whole different matter. but,he's not.... Give the kid an honest chance to make it.I mean Ray Rice beat up his ol'lady for christ sake.

Agreed. Everyone agreed he was worth the risk, I think he still is.

I was one who initially wanted Gordon gone but, once again, I'll defer to Farmer & Pettine. These guys seem to be hitting on all cylinders, so I'll readily admit to over-reacting. I really DO hope for a positive outcome.

Bottom line (as always) is "We'll see".

Mike

• 1 month later...

Maybe there is no appeal schedule because the whole situation was bullshit from the beginning from an unreliable source. I know it's wishful thinking but could it be?

I think it is reliable that he failed another drug test. But the circumstances might be at question, because the NFL sure is treading slowly.

Zombo

Well, as noted elsewhere, they still have not ruled on the Jim Irsay issue, or the Ray Rice issue. So they are apparently taking their good old time on all of these things. Maybe they have chosen to let all this sit in the offseason, and they swing the hammer just before either training camp, or until just before the regular season starts. Note: the first real game is just a little over two months away you know?

And someone talked about Haslam and his gas.....there has been no word on what the Feds are doing about Jeemy. And it has been like a year and a half. So, maybe the NFL is following the Feds lead on going slow.

if he sticks with the browns the team should hire a paid so and so to be on his jock where ever he might go. wouldn't let him take a shit alone.

I know the kid is a great talent, but I'll be DAMNED if I pay to babysit an effin' adult! It's time for Joshy boy to be a man, IF he has the balls. If not, kick him to the curb & let a good man take his place. There is no place for boys on the Browns roster. Just my opinion.

Mike

Archived