11 Leslie, Jordan WR 6-1 209 25 1 Brigham Young

80 Louis, Ricardo WR 6-2 215 23 2 Auburn

83 Mullaney, Richard WR 6-2 204 24 1 Alabama

84 Payton, Jordan WR 6-1 209 23 2 UCLA

13 Wright, James WR 6-1 201 25 4 LSU

NFL career catches & yardage

Alford = 1 catch 15 yards

Boyce = 9 for 121

Britt = 309 for 4881 (avg of 38.6 catches / year)

Coleman = 33 for 413

Hall = zero

Higgins = 6 for 77

Leslie = zero

Louis = 18 for 205

Mullaney = zero

Payton = 1 for 3

Wright = 18 for 197

------------------

Give's ya the warm fuzzies doesn't it...........

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

# player - measurables - age - exp - shcool

15 Alford, Mario WR 5-8 177 25 2 West Virginia

82 Boyce, Josh WR 5-11 205 26 2 TCU

18 Britt, Kenny WR 6-3 223 28 9 Rutgers

19 Coleman, Corey WR 5-11 185 22 2 Baylor

16 Hall, Rannell WR 6-0 200 24 2 Central Florida

81 Higgins, Rashard WR 6-1 198 22 2 Colorado State

Boyce = 9 for 121

Coleman = 33 for 413

Hall = zero

Higgins = 6 for 77

Leslie = zero

Louis = 18 for 205

Mullaney = zero

Payton = 1 for 3

Wright = 18 for 197

------------------

Give's ya the warm fuzzies doesn't it...........

It look's like our WR's are small, wimpy and non physical...

I guess that is a debate now, isn't it. Once upon a time, smurf like WRs were anathema to the game (I am talking pre late 70s/early 80s rule changes). You needed a big ass body to resist the bump and run defenses that were allowed.

Now, with the rules, smurfs can play.......but still....which is better? Antonio Brown is a Lilliputian...but Calvin Johnson is the Brobdingnagian (Big Ass MotherFucker) type that you may want. Randy Moss like. (Terrelle Pryor like?).

But, if a guy is fast and elusive and able to get open...is that better than having a Brobdingnagian to throw to?

Of course....that all could depend on your QB. Tom Brady has done pretty well with smurfs.....but I don't know if the Big Ostrich could do so well. Dink and dunk Kessler may do OK...if they are open on shorter, quick hit passes. He has not shown as much capability when it comes to mid range or deep passes.

So...maybe the idea is to have some of each? Lilliputians and Brobdingnagians? (see Gulliver's travels)

# player - measurables - age - exp - shcool

15 Alford, Mario WR 5-8 177 25 2 West Virginia

82 Boyce, Josh WR 5-11 205 26 2 TCU

18 Britt, Kenny WR 6-3 223 28 9 Rutgers

19 Coleman, Corey WR 5-11 185 22 2 Baylor

16 Hall, Rannell WR 6-0 200 24 2 Central Florida

81 Higgins, Rashard WR 6-1 198 22 2 Colorado State

Boyce = 9 for 121

Interesting path of focus you selected on behalf of Kenny Britt who is coming off the best reception volume of his career with 15 starts 68 rec 1002 yds 5 TD.

Here's his career that was as easily distracted as Josh Gordon's up until the last few years:

2009 6 starts 42 rec 701 yds 3 TD

2010 7 starts 42 rec 775 yds 9 TD

2011 3 starts 17 rec 289 yds 3 TD

2012 11 starts 45 rec 589 yds 4 TD

2013 3 starts 11 rec 96 yds 0 TD

2014 13 starts 48 rec 748 yds 3 TD

2015 13 starts 36 rec 681 yds 3 TD

2016 15 starts 68 rec 1002 yds 5 TD

That turns out to be 4.4 receptions per start over his career with a 2016 trend of 4.53 receptions per start. While not terrific, it doesn't look as bad as your preferred angle. Another thing we notice in his last 3 years (if we want to) is he had double digit starts all 3 years he was a Ram (and 4 of the last 5 years). It looks like he's grown up a lot; and consequently, he's been more helpful to his team.

I swore I'd never do this; but if Josh Gordon ever returns - we could be looking at the following receiving options for the OC to place in various formations:

HB - DeValve,TE - Njoku, WR - Britt, WR - Gordon, WR - Coleman, WR - Higgins,WR - Hall, RB - Johnson, etc

Even if he doesn't return, let's see what role experience plays in making some of the sophs better.

Eleven WRs listed...

Three are under 6'0 with one at 6'0...

Three are under 200# with one of those merely an extra helping of mashed taters shy of 200#.

POP Quiz: What's the average size of NFL WRs?

You may use google...

Eleven WRs listed...

Three are under 6'0 with one at 6'0...

Three are under 200# with one of those merely an extra helping of mashed taters shy of 200#.

POP Quiz: What's the average size of NFL WRs?

You may use google...

6'0" 200 lbs.?

Our WR position is very lacking in experience (exception is Britt)

and lacking in production (exception Britt and to some extent Coleman who missed 6 games - he may have reached 50 catches).

We're counting on a bunch of 3rd day draft picks to make production jumps in their 2nd season.

The unit is not as smurfy as it used to be...after letting Gabriel and Hawkins go at the start and end of last season.

- I would like to have a tall (but talented) WR on the roster....and I'm not even going to mention Josh Gordon's initials because he's such a long-shot -

Our WR position is very lacking in experience (exception is Britt)

and lacking in production (exception Britt and to some extent Coleman who missed 6 games - he may have reached 50 catches).

We're counting on a bunch of 3rd day draft picks to make production jumps in their 2nd season.

The unit is not as smurfy as it used to be...after letting Gabriel and Hawkins go at the start and end of last season.

- I would like to have a tall (but talented) WR on the roster....and I'm not even going to mention Josh Gordon's initials because he's such a long-shot -

Or TP whom we let go....or who decided to leave.

Or TP whom we let go....or who decided to leave.

Pryor didn't have any prior starts at WR heading into 2016. The previous regime cut him until mid December of 2015 wasting almost an entire year of his development at the position - while 31 other NFL teams also didn't deem him worthy of a chance to play WR. In the 3 games remaining, he played just enough to get 1 reception in 2015 while Dwayne Bowe was collecting his guaranteed 12 million $ for the same volume of sweat on game day. Not a bad gig if you don't even sweat in your jock strap enough to wash it once in a 16 game season...

While many like to blast Hue and/or the FO for all of the first year WRs that didn't emerge in 2016, are we going to give anyone any credit for being the only franchise willing to give Pryor a shot to play and succeed as a first year starter at WR? Going from not good enough to make the team and/or contribute in 2015 to 77 rec 1007 yards 4 TDs just 1 season later says that somebody turned a light switch on for 1 of the first year starters in our WR Corps.

I'm looking forward to seeing which of our soph WRs improve. Since Kenny Britt will start at 1 spot, and the former Biletnikoff Award winner Corey Coleman will have another spot - I'm looking for Higgins to step up and snag himself the slot receiver spot. I think Higgins is the guy to watch. I know it's not very popular to type anything good about Coleman; but I like that he organized offseason work with his WR teammates and Cody Kessler. As deceptive as it can be, you gotta bust some tail to score 20 TDs in 1 season. It could have been a lot more if Baylor wasn't down to their 3rd string QB with about 4-5 games to play. I'll swim against the current here thinking there's some goodies to tap. I've certainly been wrong before though.

The fact we cut Pryor after 2015, no one signed him, and then he was good sounds like an argument for giving DGB a shot to me.

The difference here is DGB disappointed 2 college programs before he showed zero heart to his first 2 NFL franchises in desperate need of help at WR (TN & Philly). DGB is Josh Gordon minus the talent. Big and tall with a War of the Roses divorce going on between his last 2 brain cells.

The fact we cut Pryor after 2015, no one signed him, and then he was good sounds like an argument for giving DGB a shot to me.

Pryor actually tried...Beckham doesn't. As was said of Gilbert...he like what football does for him.

Pryor wasn't a second round pick (at WR) who was cut/traded by two teams kinda bad at WR.

Pryor was cut as a QB multiple times and I seem to remember a rather large portion of this board shitting on the acquisition at the time, saying things along the lines of "dude was a shitty QB and has been cut multiple times".

Maybe DGB should switch to QB and become the anti-Pryor.

And, lets be honest guys,....the fact that Pryor had 1000 yds does not make him a #1 star WR.......

When you're on a team w/o ANY receiver threats, someone is gonna get all the targets.....and that someone "should" get a 1000 yds(at least)...

Looking back....last year was Pryor....year before that was Benji(who returned to average immediately).....Barny had a 1000 too and returned to avg immediately.....before that it was Hawkins......before that it was JG. - The only "legit WR" of the group and he had 1600(because he was the only target....like Barny, Benji, Hawk and Pryor......

This year, the Browns should pass for 3000 to 4000 yards and "someone" is gonna catch those passes.....and if they get 1000, it'll be more due to being the only(primary) target and not because they instantly became great.....

Lets talk when one of these guys actually looks dominant and can consistently get open and catch passes with ease.....right now, none of them have shown they can do that.....but NO ONE is saying they cant.....just saying they have yet to show they can....(big diff).....

So.....it's all about how many targets you get and if there is another player on your team that also demands targets......right now(and the past several years) the Browns have basically targeted one guy.....and the numbers back that up....strongly

And....Ill add....that the coach obviously didnt have enough faith in the youth group to give them targets....(thats the Coach, not us, saying we're not gonna throw the ball to these guys)

Pryor was a 15 yard unsportsman-like penalty waiting to happen. Undisciplined.

He turned into a trash talker. But I don't remember him being a trash talker when he was a QB.

I know it's not very popular to type anything good about Coleman; but I like that he organized offseason work with his WR teammates and Cody Kessler.

Of his group of 'top of the draft' WR's, Coleman was the most productive. Every one of 'em got hurt.

We need him to be a legitimate threat at WR.

And, lets be honest guys,....the fact that Pryor had 1000 yds does not make him a #1 star WR.......

When you're on a team w/o ANY receiver threats, someone is gonna get all the targets.....and that someone "should" get a 1000 yds(at least)...

Looking back....last year was Pryor....year before that was Benji(who returned to average immediately).....Barny had a 1000 too and returned to avg immediately.....before that it was Hawkins......before that it was JG. - The only "legit WR" of the group and he had 1600(because he was the only target....like Barny, Benji, Hawk and Pryor......

This year, the Browns should pass for 3000 to 4000 yards and "someone" is gonna catch those passes.....and if they get 1000, it'll be more due to being the only(primary) target and not because they instantly became great.....

Lets talk when one of these guys actually looks dominant and can consistently get open and catch passes with ease.....right now, none of them have shown they can do that.....but NO ONE is saying they cant.....just saying they have yet to show they can....(big diff).....

So.....it's all about how many targets you get and if there is another player on your team that also demands targets......right now(and the past several years) the Browns have basically targeted one guy.....and the numbers back that up....strongly

And....Ill add....that the coach obviously didnt have enough faith in the youth group to give them targets....(thats the Coach, not us, saying we're not gonna throw the ball to these guys)

Great post Mud & your comments back up my thoughts on Pryor....his stats were more a product of his being (by far) the main target, NOT his "superstar" abilities.

Pryor was a 15 yard unsportsman-like penalty waiting to happen. Undisciplined.

He turned into a trash talker. But I don't remember him being a trash talker when he was a QB.

Of his group of 'top of the draft' WR's, Coleman was the most productive. Every one of 'em got hurt.

We need him to be a legitimate threat at WR.

"Undisciplined" has always been his middle name IMHO. I do not think losing Pryor was any great loss.

Mike

I guess that is a debate now, isn't it. Once upon a time, smurf like WRs were anathema to the game (I am talking pre late 70s/early 80s rule changes). You needed a big ass body to resist the bump and run defenses that were allowed.

Now, with the rules, smurfs can play.......but still....which is better? Antonio Brown is a Lilliputian...but Calvin Johnson is the Brobdingnagian (Big Ass MotherFucker) type that you may want. Randy Moss like. (Terrelle Pryor like?).

But, if a guy is fast and elusive and able to get open...is that better than having a Brobdingnagian to throw to?

Of course....that all could depend on your QB. Tom Brady has done pretty well with smurfs.....but I don't know if the Big Ostrich could do so well. Dink and dunk Kessler may do OK...if they are open on shorter, quick hit passes. He has not shown as much capability when it comes to mid range or deep passes.

So...maybe the idea is to have some of each? Lilliputians and Brobdingnagians? (see Gulliver's travels)

Brobdingnagian?

Good thinking material right here. Seems the rules have changed over the past few years to favor offenses.

Contact between the DB and WR is pretty much inevitable, but it stands to reason that a snaller wideout just might fetch a few more PI calls because he gets laid out instead of misdirected like a larger WR would.

Not that that's anything to be proud about, but could keep s drive alive.

Yeah, but we didn't cut him after 2015 War. We cut him right before the regular season of 2015 and re-signed him with 3 games remaining. The length of unemployment was 13 weeks of that regular season.

DGB was actually given a chance by 2 different NFL teams that really needed help at WR and he failed to impress either. That's a little different than nobody but Cleveland willing to give Pryor a chance or 2. If Pryor wasn't somewhat impressive, I'm guessing he wouldn't have received the second chance.

But, to quote Queen: We want it all, and we want it all. We want all those holes on both sides of the ball to be filled. Even kick/punt returner. If we don't have it all and we don't have it now, we are going to bitch, bitch, bitch.....like not having at least 2 Pro Bowl WRs and a Pro Bowl TE. (and a Pro Bowl QB/RB/and at least 2-3 Pro Bowl OL)...and that is just the offense.

...well...it'd be nice to have a player or two that handles the ball to be of pro bowl caliber.

All we got is Joe Thomas. And.....who is he blocking for? We need people to block for.

--------

So, my own question...

Here's who the OL blocks for. (minus WR's listed at outset)

8 Hogan, Kevin QB 6-3 218 24 2 Stanford

6 Kessler, Cody QB 6-1 215 24 2 USC

7 Kizer, DeShone QB 6-4 233 21 R Notre Dame

17 Osweiler, Brock QB 6-8 235 26 5 Arizona State

25 Atkinson III, George RB 6-1 220 24 2 Notre Dame

34 Crowell, Isaiah RB 5-11 225 24 4 Alabama State

37 Dayes, Matthew RB 5-8 205 22 R N.C. State

29 Johnson Jr., Duke RB 5-9 210 23 3 Miami (Fla.)

38 Magee, Terrence RB 5-9 220 24 2 LSU

87 DeValve, Seth TE 6-3 245 24 2 Princeton

88 Holtz, J.P. TE 6-3 240 23 1 Pittsburgh

89 McNamara, Taylor TE 6-5 251 22 Southern California

85 Njoku, David TE 6-4 246 20 R Miami

86 Telfer, Randall TE 6-4 250 25 2 USC

( I notice that RB, Winston, finally fell off the roster )

The difference here is DGB disappointed 2 college programs before he showed zero heart to his first 2 NFL franchises in desperate need of help at WR (TN & Philly). DGB is Josh Gordon minus the talent. Big and tall with a War of the Roses divorce going on between his last 2 brain cells.

He didn't disappoint Missouri on the field, and he never got on the field for OU (due to the transfer rules). Yes he disappointed them over all, but he performed when he was on the field.

He didn't disappoint Missouri on the field, and he never got on the field for OU (due to the transfer rules). Yes he disappointed them over all, but he performed when he was on the field.

Fair enough. That said, 2 different NFL teams in need of help at WR didn't hesitate to let him go. Part of that was work ethic and part was not knowing the plays, which doesn't reflect well on a guy competing against guys willing to bust tail for the opening. On the radio here in Nashville, Wycheck and Bishop sounded like they were intrigued and excited to see him until they got some chances to see him.

This is a case of the story not being as good as the book cover IMO.

Yeah, because a rookie WR is always able to grasp an NFL offense within the first year....

Good point, PG!

However:

1) Philly was DGB's second season. No more "free pass" for being a rookie.

2) Grasping the offense wasn't DGB's biggest problem - grasping the ball was.

3) DGB made up for not being able to catch by not putting in the time to learn the offense. With 2 chances, DGB has now failed to learn 2 NFL offenses. That's a trend.

DGB is a terrible teammate with no NFL skills. In other words, PG's ideal player!

Nelson Agholor had the exact same stats as DGB last season.

The Eagles picked up DGB to help in their West Coast Offense. They needed a WR to come in there and stretch the field at the X spot... Sounds to me a lot like maybe trying to fit a square peg in a round hole like syndrome.

Maybe DGB spent a lot of effort to learn the Titans system as having a pretty solid rookie year. Maybe he was expecting to have a break out 2nd year and instead ended up being a rookie again. Then maybe not responding as well as you'd like to a new coaching staff that expected him to be good to go. They obviously weren't patient enough, they already knee jerked him off of their team. Philly sucks, they traded the franchise to us to pick up a scrub dollar store QB in Wentz that netted us all these picks and good fortune we're having.

You have DGB come in and mentor and nurture him in the ways of a truly great organization, like the one we have here.

We have:

Gordon (...still...loading...)

Kenny Britt

Corey Coleman and the bunch- Louis, Higgins, Payton

That's 5/6 on the roster. Continue to develop the young talent. CC, Louis and Higgins are doing fine. We have Britt, our typical journeyman veteran WR to show these guys how to STAY in the league for a period of time. We have to continue to support Jordan Payton in getting better, he was suspended last year. I don't know if it was for steroids or PEDs of some kind but if it's a strength thing then we need to get on our trainers to help him legally.

I'm all for supporting our guys and making them the best they can be, but these are also people and no two people are alike. We need counselors for these guys to help them with how to live normally. Everybody knows the stories about lottery winners that lose everything and throw their lives away... the payday and money and lifestyle these young men are given at an early age are life changing and of course, unless you are a choir boy the devil's gonna fuck with you.

Archived