THE BROWNS BOARD

Trayvon Martin

"Martin, a black high-school junior, was making his way home with a bag of Skittles and a can of iced tea on Feb. 26 when George Zimmerman spotted him, called a nonemergency dispatch number to report Martin looked intoxicated, followed him, and then minutes later after an altercation, shot him."

Zimmerman called the police and said: “There’s a real suspicious guy. This guy looks like he’s up to no good, on drugs or something. It’s raining and he’s just walking around looking about… These a**holes always get away.”

Dispatcher: “Are you following him?”

Zimmerman: “Yeah”

Dispatcher: “OK, we don’t need you to do that.”

Zimmerman claimed self defense and has not been arrested or charged with Martin's shooting.

This was a 17-year-old kid with no criminal record. If these facts all end up being true, how is this man not being charged?

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i left my message open as a test to see if the simple minded would react. and they did.

nobody respects boundaries anymore. not a cop or a politician or some dumb college kid. our Constitution and Bill of Rights has been shreaded by a pack of overjealous power hungry commi's and socialites.

vapor you failed

Oh, how silly of me.

i left my message open as a test to see if the simple minded would react. and they did.

nobody respects boundaries anymore. not a cop or a politician or some dumb college kid. our Constitution and Bill of Rights has been shreaded by a pack of overjealous power hungry commi's and socialites.

vapor you failed

I guess according to you I have the right to shoot the kids who walk across my yard to get to the neighbors house to play, or if a ball falls in my yard and they come to grab it I should be able to shoot first and ask questions later?

I have yet to find anything the kid did wrong, he was walking in a gated community back and forth from a 7/11 that his dad lived in, did he cross someones yard or something? Maybe he tried to defend himself when some one came up to him with a gun? Guess we will never know since its one persons word vs a dead kids word.

The shooter sounds like a real a----hole. However, what transpired when the two met? Who was screaming before the gunshot? Did the kid attack him, or did he attempt to take the gun away from this dick weed? My feeling is this "vigilante" pulled the gun and told the kid to stay until police came. The kid panicked and tried to take the gun and subsequently got shot. Now this guy is not a police officer and has no right to hold someone at gunpoint unless the kid has committed a felony, which sounds like he didn't. So this guy should be charged with multiple charges in my opinion.

Trayvon Martin shooting draws Rev. Al Sharpton to Sanford

Sharpton announced his Thursday visit through social media today.

By Arelis R. Hernández, Orlando Sentinel 4:59 p.m. CDT, March 17, 2012

The Rev. Al Sharptonannounced through social media that he will be visiting Sanford next week to hold a rally for slain Miami teen Trayvon Martin, whose killing by a Neighborhood Watch volunteer has sparked national outrage.

The MSNBC commentator, civil-rights activist and founder of the National Action Network announced on his Twitter and Facebook pages that he planned to arrive in Central Florida on Thursday.

The rally is scheduled for 7 p.m. at the First Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church in Sanford, according to his social-media sites.

Sharpton's rally is one of several community meetings and events that have taken place since the 17-year-old was shot and killed by George Zimmerman in a gated community more than two weeks ago.

Zimmerman has not been charged with any crime. He told police he shot Martin in self defense.

Martin's family has launched a public campaign against Sanford police, calling for the chief's resignation and an independent investigation through a blitz of news conferences and statements.

Sharpton has become the latest and most-high profile voice to emerge in the case after a slew of community activists, pastors and legislators came forward decrying the police investigation.

"National Action Network and I have called for a complete and thorough investigation into the killing of 17-year-old Florida teenager Trayvon Martin,'' Sharpton said in an earlier statement. "The fact that a young unarmed man could be killed by a neighborhood watch captain while his family was blatantly misled by local police as to the background of the shooter is disturbing."

The 911 tapes were released Friday and the case has been forwarded to the State Attorney's Office.

Other protests are also planned. On Monday, law students from across the region plan to demand the arrest of Zimmerman at a rally from 8 a.m. to noon at the Seminole County Criminal Justice Center, 101 Bush Blvd., Sanford.

On March 26, Baltimore evangelist Jamal Bryant plans a protest that will begin at 4 p.m. in front of Sanford City Hall. The group plans to attend the City Council meeting at 5 p.m.

arehernandez@tribune.com or 407-420-5471

I think it's outrageous this guy has not been arrested.

The DOJ going after this as a civil rights infringement is garbage.

The shooter should be charged regardless of anybody's race.

WSS

They're investigating whether his civil rights were violated. That's what they do. You're saying don't even investigate it? Just know that it's bullshit before you investigate?

They're investigating whether his civil rights were violated. That's what they do. You're saying don't even investigate it? Just know that it's bullshit before you investigate?

Oh no Heck you're right.

It's absolutely meaningless that some wacko probably gunned down an innocent human being.

WSS

The shooter sounds like a real a----hole. However, what transpired when the two met? Who was screaming before the gunshot? Did the kid attack him, or did he attempt to take the gun away from this dick weed? My feeling is this "vigilante" pulled the gun and told the kid to stay until police came. The kid panicked and tried to take the gun and subsequently got shot. Now this guy is not a police officer and has no right to hold someone at gunpoint unless the kid has committed a felony, which sounds like he didn't. So this guy should be charged with multiple charges in my opinion.

I've watched enough Law and Order to guess that should be easy to prove based off of burn marks, gunshot residue, ballistics, bullet trajectory, etc.

The whole point of bringing in federal investigators is in the event that the local investigation appears to have been inadequate, and there's already plenty of evidence that this was the case.

This story is enraging.

In a cell phone call moments before his death, Trayvon Martin told a teenage girl he “was being hounded by a strange man on a cellphone who ran after him, cornered him and confronted him.” The girl recounted the call, which is confirmed by phone logs, to ABC News:

“He said this man was watching him, so he put his hoodie on. He said he lost the man,” Martin’s friend said. “I asked Trayvon to run, and he said he was going to walk fast. I told him to run but he said he was not going to run.”

Eventually he would run, said the girl, thinking that he’d managed to escape. But suddenly the strange man was back, cornering Martin.

“Trayvon said, ‘What, are you following me for,’ and the man said, ‘What are you doing here.’ Next thing I hear is somebody pushing, and somebody pushed Trayvon because the head set just fell.

The new information about the phone call casts further doubt on the account George Zimmerman, Martin’s killer, told the police. The Miami Herald reported Zimmerman told the police “he had stepped out of his truck to check the name of the street he was on when Trayvon attacked him from behind as he walked back to his truck.”

Oh no Heck you're right.

It's absolutely meaningless that some wacko probably gunned down an innocent human being.

WSS

No we should all have guns in case some black tries to walk through your neighborhood. I applaud George zimmerman for being almost too good of an American. It's 2012 and we should not be cutting the blacks any slack. How dare you walk down MY street? You're not wanted.

No, this was how that argument played out:

Steve: The fact that the Civil Rights Division of the Justice Department is investigating is bullshit.

Heck: Shouldn't they be investigating whether his civil rights were violated? Isn't what they do?

Steve: You think it's meaningless that someone probably gunned an innocent human being.

...This is the type of argument I have to deal with every day in here.

I don't even know what that means.

The point is, Zimmerman shot a kid, and the local police didn't even arrest him, or even bring him in for questioning, or test him for drugs and alcohol. Now Steve is upset that the Justice Department is looking into the case, including whether the kid's civil rights were violated, in order to see if there are ways to charge the man who killed an unarmed kid who doesn't appear to have been guilty of anything but walking while black.

That's disgusting?

Sounds like exactly what should happen to me.

No we should all have guns in case some black tries to walk through your neighborhood. I applaud George zimmerman for being almost too good of an American. It's 2012 and we should not be cutting the blacks any slack. How dare you walk down MY street? You're not wanted.

Cysco If your serious I don't think you read the thread very carefully.

And Heck, I used the word garbage not disgusting.

But actually it might be a little disgusting that you guys can't see any crime for anything except a political stunt.

WSS

Cysco If your serious I don't think you read the thread very carefully.

And Heck, I used the word garbage not disgusting.

But actually it might be a little disgusting that you guys can't see any crime for anything except a political stunt.

WSS

Clearly I'm not that serious. But Seriously, assholes like George Zimmerman should not be carrying guns around. Some people on this board love them some firearms no matter how many stories emerge about how some piece of shit shot an unarmed kid so his nuts would feel bigger. Of course this was at least partially racially motivated. Do you think Trayvon Martin would be dead right now if he was Tim Martin? I don't think he would. Unless George Zimmerman was black, and then possibly. I hardly am taking the stance that this is a political stunt, where do you even get that from? I'm not sure anyone insinuated that some politician was behind this for P.R. What happened is some disgruntled insane person was allowed to carry a gun because no one could bother to see that he was on a power trip, and used it to kill someone who was different and therefore suspicious. Seems pretty cut and dried to me. Of course if Trayvon Martin had been carrying a gun, (Illegal, of course, since he was clearly a criminal) this whole situation could have been averted, by a shoot-out in a residential area with inaccurate handguns and very amateur shooters. Also, Seriously? You question if someone is going to look into whether his civil rights were violated? They probably wouldn't have to if George Zimmerman were arrested and charged with Murder like he ought to be, but he wasn't, and isn't, as far as I know.

You are probably right Cysco.

I can't imagine the shooter skating had the races been reversed.

And, had the races been reversed, the department of justice wouldn't give a rat's ass about it.

Also if public ownership of firearms was illegal and carried stiff sentences less of this would happen.

Anybody want to go on the record proposing that?

And Heck was there something specifically you think the department of justice failed to do?

Or are you, like most of us, just upset and want to see the guy charged with something?

WSS

You are probably right Cysco.

I can't imagine the shooter skating had the races been reversed.

And, had the races been reversed, the department of justice wouldn't give a rat's ass about it.

Also if public ownership of firearms was illegal and carried stiff sentences less of this would happen.

Anybody want to go on the record proposing that?

And Heck was there something specifically you think the department of justice failed to do?

Or are you, like most of us, just upset and want to see the guy charged with something?

WSS

I wanted to see if there was evidence to charge the man, yes.

Funny, lots of people are pointing out that Fox News hasn't been covering this Trayvon Martin story at all. And the reason is the same reason you're dismissing parts of it in here: because it doesn't fit with their narrative of white culture being under attack. It's about a black kid who got shot because he happened to be a black teen walking down the street.

You at least express that it makes you mad on a human level, while discounting the racial aspects, even though it seems clear that the kid's race had a lot to do with him being followed and eventually shot. You don't want to talk about those. Similarly, Fox News doesn't want to talk about it because it's selling the opposite - blacks have it easy in this country, getting all the handouts, while white conservative culture is under attack.

You claim the attention this case is getting is political. Well, what about the inattention it's getting in conservative media circles? Is that political?

Archived