THE BROWNS BOARD

Is Drango an Ideal Fit for a Power Scheme?

Flugel

That still doesn't negate my point on how Baylors passing game helps take a great deal of pressure off of their oline.

Yes and no T. There were games Baylor went to #3 on the depth chart at QB, which put their oline in charge of protecting a lot of 3rd and 10 pass situations with unreliable accuracy from the passer. In spite of it, I believe they ended up ranked #1 in the country in points scored and yardage diluted by backup QBs for 5-6 games.

If it's a quick passing play where the OL doesn't have to do anything, that usually results in a 0 (neutral) grade for them. So it can actually hurt as they get less opportunities to build on the grade.

If it's a quick passing play where the OL doesn't have to do anything, that usually results in a 0 (neutral) grade for them. So it can actually hurt as they get less opportunities to build on the grade.

... or help by limiting grades. ;)

But in either case that is the way to grade.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think it's possible to know a damn thing about the OL until the pads come on. Our radio guys brought up the fact that training camp has been reduced to basically a trip to the spa now, and without things like two-a-days and back-to-back padded practices, many players aren't getting the reps they need to improve their skills.

We have a new coach, so there won't be any loyalty to players previously picked by other regimes. The best guy is going to play, so if Drango can get it done, we're going to see him. On a side note, it was nice to hear (from radio show) that Cam Erving looked "natural" at the center position, and he really appeared to grasp the offense and protection schemes. AGAIN, we won't know a damn thing until the bullets start flying for real, but it sure is nice to hear that our first round pick doesn't look lost. He's also improved his strength and reportedly has worked "tirelessly on his technique". In the back of my mind, I see the Matthews kid as making some noise. It will definitely be a position to watch in camp and the preseason games.

At any rate, Drango hopefully can provide some good depth, even if he doesn't crack the starting lineup (which I doubt he will). OL injuries happen to every team, so let's hope the kid can come in and provide some stability.

Archived