THE BROWNS BOARD

OK, just announce we're taking Garrett....

Clevfan4life

Hmm.....Im not really seeing that from Nassib.....for the most part, he looked to be fairly easily nullified....club or not.....and showed very little against the run....and....little or no gains as the season progressed....

Ogbah....on the other hand....showed good pursuit.....ability to get off blocks.....and got better as the season progressed......was looking pretty solid the last 1/4, while I was bemoaning the invisibility of Nassib....(one of my preseason favorites and draft dark horses)

It'll be interesting to see how the sophs look Williams' D. I'm not in a hurry to give up on Orchard either (injury last year make this his soph season).

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'll be interesting to see how the sophs look Williams' D. I'm not in a hurry to give up on Orchard either (injury last year make this his soph season).

Right.....one thing not being discussed(at all) is our complete lack of any outside linebackers......our only 3 viable LB's are Kirksey, Davis and Collins.....ALL of whom are better inside players, than outside......and now we are gonna favor 4-3 alignments, which will either bench our better players or force them to play out of position.....Orchard is really suited to playing DE and now that we are a 4-3, it opens the opportunity for him to return to his natural position.......BUT.......but, I think he is also one of our better options to play OLB.....he's not ideal, but still feel he could bring more to the table than Schobert or Johnson....

No good ones are gonna come via draft this year.....so that is a void we desperately need to fill one way or another.....

Based upon our current roster.....Id be looking for Orchard - Collins - Kirksey to be on the field the most.....with Davis Schobert and Johnson having more limited roles....

Jason La Canfora reported that Leonard Fournette is in play with the first pick of the draft. I shit you not, I will absolutely EXPLODE if we take a RB with the first pick. It would be the last straw. (not really, but I'll talk tough).

La Canfora is a hack. That's nothing more than click bait.

Who doesn't like the Browns. Nothing to be gained by falling in line like every mock that has Garrett at #1. Ignore. I could probably dig up articles saying 10 different prospects are in play @ #1.The only real question is what the 49ers will do @ #2.

I know, I know....I think I'm just nervous that we'll overthink this pick. Our team has been accused, and possibly rightfully so, of trying to be the smartest people in the room. We have a documented history of trading down and making selections that cause the "the experts" to question what we're doing. Add in the fact that we haven't been GOOD at drafting early, and you have the perfect storm for my anxiety.

Now that I've had more than five seconds to think about it, we're not taking a damn running back. This might be the stupidest statement La Canfora has ever made, and that's saying something. So the worst team in the league is going to draft a position that actually isn't one of the MANY needs on the roster? Yeah...that's what we're doing. Gimme a break, man. Like posters have said, it's just pre-draft click bait, and nothing more. Even our radio show guys briefly discussed this statement, and they all think it's complete garbage too.

Let's take a second and suppose we don't take Myles Garrett at #1. Who else makes sense for our team? To me, there's only three other REMOTE selections, and they are Jamal Adams, Safety from LSU, Malik Hooker, Safety from OSU, and whichever QB we have ranked the highest in the draft. THAT'S IT. Now, I'm not saying we wouldn't look at taking a RB with the #12, but an awful team like ours wouldn't take one #1. Fournette was recently called a "Once every 20 years type player, similar to Bo Jackson, Adrian Peterson, and players of that caliber." If he's that good, then he's certainly worth entertaining with our second pick, but we NEED players that get to the QB. Garrett didn't play his best ball against the best college teams, and that's cause for concern, but I also read that his ankle injury was immensely worse than he let on. I don't want to make excuses for the guy, but I recently saw some clips of the guy limping during games, and it seems like he shouldn't have played at all. But to me, it shows how tough he is. It shows that he really wants to be out there with his team. He was the projected overall #1 pick for two years (almost), and if he didn't want to play, nobody would've blamed him.

Honestly, the ONLY WAY we don't take Myles Garrett is if another team offers us something we literally can't turn down. What if someone like San Francisco or Chicago is absolutely in LOVE with Garrett, and they offer us two first round picks to move up one or two slots? I know it's crazy, and I'm just giving an example, but think about it. What if a team offers us something STUPID...do we have to listen? If we get the 49's or the Bears' 2018 first rounder...you'd HAVE to think that would be a top 5 pick, right? Look at the QB class coming out next year. Should we pad our ammo stock to ensure we can get whichever QB we want in 2018? I'm not sure, but it's something to at least consider.

My mind is made up, and I want Garrett. I want the anticipation and excitement of adding a player like him. I want the possibility of having a stud pass rusher opposite Ogbah. Two physical freaks that can play off each other and wreak havoc for years to come.

Nevertheless....do not discount the possibility of a trade down. For reasons you have stated: to get more picks....because these guys think they can do better with more picks that with just #1. Because they have the cap space to sign 3 first round picks.....because of the plethora of needs on this team that may be filled with more top picks....because they think that Ogbah and Nassib are adequate at DE...because it it their track record to trade down...etc. etc. etc.

If we can trade out of the 1stvand still end up with soliman and/or allen than maybe.....cause we'd have alot of ammo then for subsequent years. But solomons expected to go 2nd to SF so i dont see this ascan option. SF isnt trading shit cause they'll end up with either garett or solomon if they want a pass rusher.

Garetts an alpha with near historic athleticism, dont overthink it

Yeah thevtrade down has cost us mack and bosa, just two examples.....bosa might have broken the rookie sack record if he hadnt missed 4 games. We cant keep passing on that kind of talent.

And yet the Chargers are picking at seven.....AND they have a franchise QB

Myles was on ESPN's NFL Insiders and NFL Live yesterday. Some interesting and fun stuff in both shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4_fGEzrp2U

This one is what he says he wants to do for the Browns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1O7EE1pvrs

And yet the Chargers are picking at seven.....AND they have a franchise QB

So? That means they shouldnt have taken bosa? I guess we should reach on a qb year after year and field successively shittier and shittier teams to surround him with. Makes alot of sense?

I agree that if the qb is there u dont pass him up for a pass rusher no matter how good. But because i root for the browns ive been subjected to one qb after another get his ass kicked, so i just want to build a beast defense and try to build a goid o line with which we can either entice a franchise qb here or feel safe reaching in the draft for one.

Frankly ive got my eye on sam darnold anyway so this year i want bpa with the 1st........which is garrett

Just read an article saying the Browns are split between Myles Garrett and Mitchell Trubisky. I can tell you right now that I'd lose my mind if we don't draft Garrett. I just can't shake this feeling that our Browns won't completely screw this up. I mean, it's what we do, right? The more I think about it, the more I just know we'll try and be the smartest people in the room, and do something stupid. I can already read the headlines. "Browns get their QB, but pass on once in a lifetime pass rushing prospect. With the 12th pick, the Browns selected Scooby-Doo, hoping to confuse defenses with his silly language skills and caper solving abilities."

You can say it's just pre-draft smoke screen crap, but until I'm proven wrong, this is how I feel. WE DO IT EVERY YEAR. Julio Jones? Nah. Carson Wenzt? Nah. We can't help it. Welcome to Cleveland, Scooby-Doo.

I'm in a pissy mood today, and that could be what it is, but I heard some radio show talking about how the Browns NEVER do what people think, so get ready for some craziness. Then I stopped and thought about it, and they were RIGHT. When was the last time we just PICKED somebody in the first round? Justin Gilbert? Or did we move down in the draft that year? I'm already angry and the draft hasn't even happened yet, LOL.

I'm in a pissy mood today, and that could be what it is, but I heard some radio show talking about how the Browns NEVER do what people think, so get ready for some craziness. Then I stopped and thought about it, and they were RIGHT. When was the last time we just PICKED somebody in the first round? Justin Gilbert? Or did we move down in the draft that year? I'm already angry and the draft hasn't even happened yet, LOL.

Yes we did move down in the draft that year, moved right out if the watkins-mack sweepstakes and landed us some justin gilbert

Yes we did move down in the draft that year, moved right out if the watkins-mack sweepstakes and landed us some justin gilbert

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that a previous FO?

Feel free to treat the above question as rhetorical...

Ah... there are many routes to wrong...

Meanwhile back at the thread....

This tweet preceded BR's latest prospect rankings:

Matt Miller: How good is @MylesLGarrett? I gave him the third-highest grade I've ever given a player (Luck, Von Miller)

Then this is from his rankings for the 2017 Edge Prospect Class:

NFL Draft 400: Ranking the Draft's Top Edge-Rushers
Matt Miller NFL Draft Lead WriterApril 13, 2017

1. Myles Garrett, Texas A&M

PRO COMPARISON: Julius Peppers, Carolina Panthers
FINAL GRADE: 8.50/9.00 (All-Pro Talent—No. 1 Pick)

A three-year starter at Texas A&M, Myles Garrett is the prototype at defensive end. At 6'4" and 272 pounds, he has excellent strength, speed and a massive wingspan with 35 ¼-inch arms and 10 ¼-inch hands. Garrett's power shows on the field and in the weight room. Most long-armed players struggle in the bench press, but he rocked out 33 reps at the combine.

On the field, you can see him pressing blockers off his frame (see UCLA) to get to the ball-carrier. Garrett has eye-popping burst and short-area quickness, showing fantastic footwork and balance. He's fast enough to play in pursuit and will run backs down from behind. Garrett is one of the freakiest athletes seen in the last six years, and the tape and his workouts back it up.

A scheme-versatile talent, he can play with his hand in the dirt or standing up off the edge. He also has value as an interior pass-rusher in nickel situations if desired. Garrett has one of the highest grades ever assigned—behind only Von Miller and Patrick Peterson in the last seven drafts. His combination of athleticism, production and potential make him a no-doubt No. 1 overall pick.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2687983-nfl-draft-400-ranking-the-drafts-top-edge-rushers

Pollian was on NFL Insiders yesterday. As best I can remember he basically said,

"There can only be one reason there's noise coming out of Cleveland about being interested in more than one player at #1. They are creating a market for the Garrett pick. If you know who you want, then you sit quietly until you take him."

Pollian was on NFL Insiders yesterday. As best I can remember he basically said,

"There can only be one reason there's noise coming out of Cleveland about being interested in more than one player at #1. They are creating a market for the Garrett pick. If you know who you want, then you sit quietly until you take him."

Meaning, apparently that they are not completely sold on Garrett? And have no apparent compunction about trading out of the slot and not getting him?

Meaning, apparently that they are not completely sold on Garrett? And have no apparent compunction about trading out of the slot and not getting him?

Now who is putting thoughts inside the FO minds? Or is that just an opinion?

Couple plausible answers...

First, it's not necessarily that we are "not sold"; we just may still be deeper in the pick accumulation mode than many of us hope.

In last nite's mock while we were on the clock at #1, "we got a call" from the Titans offering us #5 and #18 for #1 and #33...

Interesting note: they actually fucked up the scenario and treated the offer as #5, #18 and #33 for our #1... we still turned it down.

Anyway Polian's (acting as Sashi) reasoning for rejecting the offer was along the following lines:

1. We lose Garrett.
  2. Dropping to #5 puts us ahead of the Jets for now for "our QB", but there's no guarantee NYJ stays put.
  3. We lose Garrett, the clear, #1, game-changing prospect in this draft.
  4. We already have 4 picks in the first two rounds... plus the #65.

Savage, acting as our Head of Player Personnel, asked, "If we trade down with it in mind to take Trubisky at #5, why wouldn't we just take him at #1?"

Polian's answer was, "Good question. The answer to which is: Garrett."

The second plausible answer... and I pray I'm not right about this one... is that we simply have been unable to a consense on a pick at #1. I've beat the consensus-approach drum for a long time... maybe now it's hitting me back.

If Hue, representing the coaching staff, is currently dug into a position disagreeing with the FO, then there is no consensus at the top of our board. Since I've maintained, loudly and longly, that Sashi is not "the decider", as in he will not pick one player over another, the only option is to trade the pick... a decision he would make... if he has to.

Our FO is set up to be a learning organization. One of those lessons, sooner or later, will be the cost of not coming to a consensus. That cost is potentially not getting either of the players between whom the organization as a whole is split.

Putting out "feelers" now for trading the #1 is a way for Sashi to increase the pressure to come to a consensus on the pick. It most likely is a tactic that will only work if the minority position, presumably per "reports" Hue's Staff's position, relents and consents to the majority, FO view. I say this because it is far more likely that at least one member of that majority will be so firmly dug in that he/they will not consent, even if others currently in the majority eventually do.

Let's say the feelers produce a Titans offer of the #5 and #18 for the #1. Then Sashi has two options to bring back to the table for the consensus process:

• Garrett vs the 5 + 18, and
  • Trubs vs. the 5 + 18.

A consensus may form around one of the options in one of the pairs. So they may emerge united with either a player or an additional 1st round pick.

If it's the later, then they wash, rinse and repeat... while I drink... heavily...

I have never said it was easy for organizations to learn.

Now who is putting thoughts inside the FO minds? Or is that just an opinion?

Not that you're wrong generally speaking... Gip obviously has a major blind spot when it comes to projecting his views... but I don't see it as the case here.

Here I see him genuinely asking a question. A question I'd yet to ask. Had I not, then I would not have spent 20 minutes formulating an answer seen above. A five minute, one-part answer that grew when I had an "oh shit" moment.

Archived