THE BROWNS BOARD

TP has been realesed by the Chiefs

ColumbusKing

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In college Ohio State all the way for me. I started pulling for other Big 10 teams to win out of conference games though as people will tear down the Big 10 as being a weak conference when other Big 10 teams lose to non conference teams and that hurts the conference the Buckeyes play in.

The exception was Michigan losing to Appalachian State. I really enjoyed that one.

Former Michigan player: "Nearly half the team was stoned during Appalachian State loss"

http://www.chatsports.com/michigan-wolverines/a/Former-Michigan-player-Nearly-half-the-team-was-stoned-during-A-10-2-3043

College teams have to do more than just win, they have to win against good teams. Every year there is a team with one loss or fewer that played a shit schedule so they're stuck on the outside looking in. If your conference is viewed as garbage good luck making the playoff.

The NFL is a simple numbers game, no posturing or politics.

I don't remember having to submit an essay to join here. In fact I don't remember having to be approved.

Rooting for schoolboy football to the extent at which 'mature' adults do is gay.

What you have 40. 50, and 60 year old men hurling "Michigan sucks" or "Ohio State sucks" insults at kids....the majority who will never play a down in the NFL, aren't making a dime, and are only there to get an education.

It's a wonder venom isn't spewed by adults toward high school rivals as well. If rival college or high school kids want to lay down the smack at each other, that's fine.

I save my venom for the pros...I have a right to bash overpaid millionaires that get to play a game for a living... and let them know they suck when they suck.

And let the teams I hate know that they suck.

Rooting for schoolboy football to the extent at which 'mature' adults do is gay.

What you have 40. 50, and 60 year old men hurling "Michigan sucks" or "Ohio State sucks" insults at kids....the majority who will never play a down in the NFL, aren't making a dime, and are only there to get an education.

It's a wonder venom isn't spewed by adults toward high school rivals as well. If rival college or high school kids want to lay down the smack at each other, that's fine.

I save my venom for the pros...I have a right to bash overpaid millionaires that get to play a game for a living... and let them know they suck when they suck.

And let the teams I hate know that they suck.

I get your point but you must not know some of the Michigan "fans" that I know. :wacko:

I don't remember having to submit an essay to join here. In fact I don't remember having to be approved.

He was stuck in limbo for some reason, and he sent me a message asking me to approve him. For some reason people get stuck when they are trying to get approved, but the spam accounts seem to have no problems getting in.

Zombo

LOL, I'm not trying to bait you. I want to know why you think that makes it the best. I'm not a Big Ten guy waiting to shove some kind of superiority in your face. I just want to know why ... you don't have to tell me ... but that's weird.

It's part of the overall culture within the conference. Outside of some direct rivalries, there's a respect level for our opponents there. We're all united in loving the South (however backwards you may find that). We're united in the realization that SEC football is a different brand and a different breed and, particularly lately, one that people are jealous of and seek to attack. There is also all throughout the conference a consistent theme of equality of members. In our last Big 12 contract, Texas was set to make the most TV money, A&M and OU were going to be in the next tier, then the other 7 lemmings we're going to eat the scraps. This was one of the main reasons we left the conference.

I never said that was my opinion. How is it an attack if I never said it? Are you just the most defensive person in the world? Or does my reputation precede me?

What am I, a douchebag? Quit blowing smoke up my rear. You know what you were trying to say. You implied it strongly. You were offended that I would accuse you of trolling since I'm a troll, apparently. If you're going to hit me with some cowardly "definition of 'is'" retort, then let's not waste each other's time.

This is hilarious. I never stated what your intentions were. So you are making up my intention, and then making up a joke i might say, and then responding to the joke I might say that you made up about my intention that I never stated.

Yes. Good way to stop trolls in their tracks. And again, you implied that my intentions were to troll the board as an Aggie. Or maybe you're just puffing your chest because you've been on a Browns board longer than I have and therefore I have no right to ever call you a troll (sound logic if I've ever seen it), in which case, whatever makes you feel better my man.

I think this is a first. But I'll give you a B- on the joke because I would never say "fag", that is offensive, you homo, and I don't know anything about Lake Erie college. But if it is an all girls school and your dad went there, he's brilliant.

Oh .. and I know when you joined and why. Because I am the administrator. I'm the guy you sent the note to explaining your Browns history and Cleveland connection .. and I'm the guy who approved you.

So then why don't you quit busting my balls about having an A&M avatar? Forgot you were the one I messaged to get approval from.

I just wanted to fucking know, from your perspective, why the fact that the SEC roots for itself is a reason onto itself of why it is the best conference. Was generally curious. But I probably got off on the wrong foot by saying rooting for a conference is gay. Like your dad.

Zombo

It's not a reason unto itself. It's just a reflection of the general attitudes fans have about the conference and it is those attitudes that make it strong and very structurally sound going forward.

Hope the answers were satisfactory and my faith that you're not trolling doesn't come back to haunt me.

A.Let's make things clear.....a lot of the SEC teams look so good because of the cupcake non-conference schedules.

Also....the SEC was far from the best conference this past year despite some teams having gawdy early season records (see A Above). Their record in bowl games wasn't so hot. And, in this last draft, the Pac12 had more higher players drafted than the SEC.....because apparently it had more talent

A. That's not clear nor is it accurate. We look good because we had the best bowl record almost a decade running and because we just won 7 straight crystal balls. Among other things.

B. It had more upperclassmen talent, yes. Totally granted. We'll see how they do next year. IMO the SEC is slowly moving toward much more of a college basketballish "rent a player" model. No redshirts, three years for everyone, if you haven't proved yourself within two years you transfer.

But regardless, you mention our apparently lousy bowl record last year when we were only #2 in the bowl standings, as opposed to our usual #1. Oh, whatever will we do with such a failure.

What Zombo really is hinting at, and what guys like ballpeen have confirmed is that this "rooting for the SEC" phenomena is that somehow people in the south think that because they may have good football teams that it somehow makes up for losing the Civil War.....honest to fucking god. They think that "Dixie will rise again" if they win a football game.

Of course what a lot of those people don't get is that it is the great great great grandsons of those slaves they fought so hard to keep that are winning them those football games. And it is these same g-g-g-sons that they wanted to deny rights to up until at least the 80s (and even some today). So, yes, the South has risen again.....the sons of the slaves of the south that is.

Yep. Nailed it, Gipper. We all just want the best football in the south to make up for losing the Civil War. You are so prescient. The only bad part is that sometimes when it's really hot in August I have to take off my hood and then it ruins the whole effect.

Get real.

In college Ohio State all the way for me. I started pulling for other Big 10 teams to win out of conference games though as people will tear down the Big 10 as being a weak conference when other Big 10 teams lose to non conference teams and that hurts the conference the Buckeyes play in.

The exception was Michigan losing to Appalachian State. I really enjoyed that one.

Former Michigan player: "Nearly half the team was stoned during Appalachian State loss"

http://www.chatsports.com/michigan-wolverines/a/Former-Michigan-player-Nearly-half-the-team-was-stoned-during-A-10-2-3043

Correct. I guess Ohio State fans currently have what they want. A watered down, terrible conference surrounding a really good Ohio State. Only problem with that is eventually the conference will lose enough respect that it will get the Big 12 treatment. You don't want that.

I've always said the Big 10 was the #2 conference just because it is very structurally sound, great TV markets, huge stadiums, lots of tradition, etc. But it won't mean anything if they're continually poor on the field as a whole.

College teams have to do more than just win, they have to win against good teams. Every year there is a team with one loss or fewer that played a shit schedule so they're stuck on the outside looking in. If your conference is viewed as garbage good luck making the playoff.

The NFL is a simple numbers game, no posturing or politics.

This. And us dumb rednecks just happened to figure it out before everyone else.

He was stuck in limbo for some reason, and he sent me a message asking me to approve him. For some reason people get stuck when they are trying to get approved, but the spam accounts seem to have no problems getting in.

Zombo

I was stuck in Zombo actually ;)

Nothing to do with the naked pics then?

This thread is still going? Is he still acting like the SEC is the greatest thing ever?

Last I remember, he was admitting his team and other SEC teams were all cheating. Idk where else to go from there.

pryor_knowledge.gif

LSUfreek is great

132656.gif

King_Creole_LesMiles.gif

qwra.gif?w=848

Urban_Whatislove.gif

After all that time it took me to make my last post in response to you that's all I get? Disappointing. Oh well. Didn't expect much more from a mental midget such as yourself. But I did expect you to at least have ONE solid point. Haven't even produced that.

After all that time it took me to make my last post in response to you that's all I get? Disappointing. Oh well. Didn't expect much more from a mental midget such as yourself. But I did expect you to at least have ONE solid point. Haven't even produced that.

What post? Was there a reply farther back? I'll go look.

The last thread I remember you from was the one about Sam and gays in the NFL. After reading that, you have no business calling me a "mental midget" haha

Yes, and how many do you know are gay? That's right. Zero. Not a quality selling point.

A. It's not the conference's job to enforce them, and that's if I take your premise that they (or any conference) even have rules (as a conference) against paying players. That's what the NCAA is for. So, barring you providing another, actual example, there is one blatantly false claim that you made to support your entire theory that you CAN NOT prove whatsoever.

Johnny wouldn't have gotten away with it (although there was no legitimate proof that he in fact did what you claim) if the NCAA were stronger. Hence my point. And you're of the opinion that what he did should be legal anyway, so that's yet another example of you making a poor case.

B. I never denied that we cheated, so giving a bunch of examples of as much is a waste of your time. A&M most likely cheats. Certainly, SEC Commissioner Slive and our brass did what it took to intimidate the NCAA into settling on the half game suspension with JFF. I thought I had stated this repeatedly on this and other threads but will do so again: I do not care.

C. The majority of bowl games are down here because the best players and more importantly fans are down here. More people will want to go to bowl games down here. Go look up the attendance figures for bowls. Outside of the Rose, in 2013 (only year I could find good data for) the highest attendance at a bowl game above the Mason-Dixon (so not including Arizona) was the Holiday Bowl with 52,000. This was good for 13th highest. Do you think northern cities should be awarded bowls they will not attend? Do you believe in capitalism?

Moreover, bowl games are in the winter and the weather is better here. You apparently think southern teams should be forced to go up north for games. So I'm assuming you want the NCAA, or whatever arbitrary group you would have established by power 5 presidents (which by the way would only devolve into the same exact thing as the NCAA), to make a rule. Even though we've established that the NCAA is not powerful enough to enforce its own rules. Yeah, this should work.

The Mississippi State team you mentioned started the season unranked. Their high ranking wasn't because they "started rank," but because they were undefeated. Furthermore, they were never top 10 in the country. Before receiving their week 8 shellacking to the hands of Alabama, they had only gotten as high as 15 in the AP poll, and 12 in the BCS. Is your contention that a 7-0 team should be unranked? Man, this just gets better and better. And just to further reduce your argument to a pile of dust, that 8-5 Mississippi State team beat a ranked 10-2 Big 10 team by two touchdowns in the bowl game. I don't think I've ever won an argument this easily.

We win quality OOC games all the time and, prior to last season (where we finished only a measly NUMBER 2 in bowl standings), we had the best bowl record some 8 or 9 seasons running. So the hype is well deserved. Also, go take a look at the numbers of NFL talent coming from each of the conferences. But I guess the league's general managers are all just participating in the conspiracy? Perhaps the deciders of Pro Bowl players are part of the ruse as well? We had 25 players in the Pro Bowl last year (1.79 per conference team), shredding the other 4 conferences which had between 14 and 19 (Big 10 the lowest).

Quit making excuses for your failures. If you want success, go get it. You obviously know the blueprint.

Looking back, you still seem to be confused.

I'll go slowly.

The NCAA is a shit organization. They have rules that do not do much at all, really they only hurt the players, and they will attempt to enforce those. Ex, players selling their own items. As I laid out earlier, there are ways to allow something like this. The NCAA exploits the players, there are many examples of them not acting in the best interest of the players.

On the other hand, there are rules that should be more strongly enforced, that seem to only be enforced arbitrarily. This enforcement, many times, seems to be based on the profile of the school and conference they reside in. Paying players is against the rules, and yet we have seem numerous pieces of evidence to suggest this is happening at certain schools. It is insulting for anyone to have us believe it isn't. From twitter photos of recruits with wads of cash, to all of the stories of bagmen, it is obviously happening. And again, it is happening moreso in other conferences than others.

So, to recap, the NCAA really just needs to be reformed from top to bottom.

Well, you admit your school cheated. I believe you also have admitted other SEC schools have. Idk where to go from there.

Bowls games are not down south because the top players are down there. They sure as hell aren't done there because the "top fans" are either. What are you talking about? No shit the higher attended bowl games are down south. That's what happens when all of the major bowl games are down south. Don't tell me how capitalism works if you don't even understand the situation. Most bowl games, mainly the major ones, are historically where they have always been. Why down south, weather. Obviously weather. Now though, many more domed stadium exist. If you don't think a major bowl game could exist at Lucas Oil Stadium you're insane.

The reason this was brought up, was to help explain some of the recent SEC success in bowl games (just not last year...). Clearly, if you don't ever leave your region to play most bowl games, you're going to do pretty well. Same could be said for the Rose Bowl, where the B1G has to travel across the country to PAC country. Our modern world has domed, climate controlled stadium up North. I realize it is against tradition, but I imagine we could handle more bowl games up here.

Best fans... lol. Having a limited number of pro teams in the SEC area doesn't make them better fans...

My bad on the Miss St example, I thought they started ranked. Either way, they got to 11 and beat no one on the way getting there. Then they got smacked by the rest of the teams they played. At the time though, it gave Bama a "convincing win" against the #11 team and barely dropped Miss St, since they played the #1 team. This will sound like a cop out, but I might have been thinking of another team. Maybe Ole Miss. Not sure

If you think about it reasonably though, there is no reason to have preseason rankings. Like I said, in the past, with media bias in hand, they have been used to artificially prop up the SEC. If a large number of teams start ranked, that gives other teams in the conference ranked wins. There is no reason to rank teams preseason, it is all just speculation. That speculation can artificially inflate the rankings of teams that beat other preseason ranked teams, when that losing team turns out to be much worse than expected. You'd have a much better idea about that team by week 6 or so.

I love how you say "We" in reference to things that occurred before your team joined the conference. Root for your team, not the SEC... shit.

The other things I was mentioning, were just more examples of benefits the SEC has been using. Overisigning it the most blatant. Yes, there is nothing directly in the rules about it (and the SEC has looser rules on the matter than the B1G). But when coaches are pulling offers from recruits last second, pushing players off of their team with bogus medical hardships, and pushing a lot of grayshirts on players, then there is an issue. And yes, I realize this isn't every SEC school, just the majority. And i realize there are teams outside of the SEC that do this as well. But when you go into a national championship game, and the SEC school has recruited essentially a whole extra class over a 4 year period when compared to the non SEC school, that is a major advantage.

Some people want to bring up academic requirements for recruits to get into the school. Yes, overall SEC schools are much worse academically than B1G schools (Vandy is good and so is UF though). But at every school, players get lower entrance standards. Schools like Northwestern and Stanford actually have stricter than average standards. Most other schools are very close, so I don't think that's too big of an issue. Even if you only need to write your name to get into an SEC school. I don't really think that one is a big deal.

Media bias definitely matters, especially from ESECPN. Though that seems to be dying down. Everything is cyclical in nature.

Anyway. To recap.

1) The NCAA needs reformed

2) SEC dominance recently has been influenced by off of the field advantages/rule bending/rule breaking. Not just "great players and coaches".

3) You admit a&m cheated I guess

I'm wondering, how do you feel about satellite camps? Any objections?

Can college football go back to not caring about the aggies? That would be nice.

There's no point in making new regulations until the NCAA can enforce the ones it already has on the books. That's why I say strengthen the NCAA.

"No shit the higher attended bowl games are down south. That's what happens when all of the major bowl games are down south."

The south's bowl attendance dominates the north from top to bottom. Not just in "major bowl games." So you're wrong on that. You want more and better bowl games up north? Attend the ones you already have, and it might get considered. They just added a bowl game here where I live in Austin. Why aren't they adding them up north? Oh right, people attend.

Teams go to bowl sites a week before the game. Both teams are isolated in the same ways. One team might have a few more fans, but let's not act like that trip from Wisconsin to California (a week before the game) is just neutering the team before they get there.

"Best fans... lol. Having a limited number of pro teams in the SEC area doesn't make them better fans..."

Yes it does. It makes them better college football fans. Just like you'd probably say Browns fans are better than Texans fans. Is a Texans fan gonna respond "no we're just as good of fans, we just have good college ball." That's a ridiculous argument. We're talking about CFB here. If northerners choose to allot their "fan hours" to the pro game, fine. But don't then try to tell us you're bigger college football fans than us. Just like we won't try to say we're better pro fans than you.

Bama went and plowed the only undefeated team in the country 42-14. Spare me the "they didn't deserve to be rated highly because they because teams that had reached their rankings falsely" bs. And again I ask you, should a 7-0 team not have been ranked? I doubt any other power 5 7-0 teams were in ranked that season. So you're complaining about something that, even if SEC bias didn't exist, would still occur. It sounds like you don't just want the SEC on an equal playing field, but rather you want them punished as well.

I'm fine with not ranking them preseason. Don't really care. But SOMEONE, be it official or not, is always going to rank. And the TV networks will always want to give viewers an understanding of how good the teams playing each other are. Do you suggest banning the networks from showing a ranking? Because that's the only way it would work.

Even if rankings were withheld until week 6 as you suggest, A 7-0 MISSISSIPPI STATE WOULD STILL HAVE BEEN RANKED. So Bama still would have gotten a ranked win.

A consistent theme of your argument is that you live in la la land and not the real world. I just gave two solid examples of situations where you're complaining of SEC bias with matters that would still be present whether SEC bias existed or not. It's human nature.

I do root for my team. I say "we" because it annoys you.

"But when you go into a national championship game, and the SEC school has recruited essentially a whole extra class over a 4 year period when compared to the non SEC school, that is a major advantage."

Ya don't say? So a team works within the rules to make itself as good as possible and instead of getting on that team's level, you want to bring that team down. Lame. The football teams exist to win games and entertain fans. Contrary to popular opinion, it ain't all about "developing men of character" and bla bla bla. That's just something weak teams tell themselves to excuse their lack of wind. If you can do both, great. If you can't, you should try to win.

Medical hardships are approved by the NCAA and their process is actually pretty stringent and the bar for receiving one is high. In 8 years or so of following A&M closely, we have never once gotten a medical redshirt. Not a single time. So I really have no idea what you're talking about.

Offers are rarely, if ever, pulled at the last second. I'm sure this is another claim of yours that you can't prove.

Grayshirts are within the rules. Most kids are happy for the opportunity to grayshirt because it gets them an offer they wouldn't otherwise have garnered. You can not grayshirt a kid without his consent. So if you don't like it, don't sign the LOI. If you have grayshirt offers from SEC schools then you likely have real offers from plenty of other schools.

"(Vandy is good and so is UF though)" and so is A&M, and Georgia. Alabama and Auburn are decent.

"But at every school, players get lower entrance standards."

That's true all over the country, not just the SEC. I bet Michigan has lower entrance standards for athletes than regular students. You know why? BECAUSE THE NCAA SETS ENTRANCE STANDARDS FOR ATHLETES. Just because a couple losing programs impose higher standards doesn't mean the rest of us should do it.

Funny, we call it ESiPN down here. Sip being a name for a Texas fan, and the nickname coming from the establishment of the Longhorn Network. ESPN has its tentacles all over the country. Sorry we watch more (but hey, yall have pro teams!!).

Don't really care about satellite camps. In fact I think coaches should hold combines for older guys that never went to school (thus have full eligibility). You could have former drug dealers, burger flippers, etc. be blessed with the opportunity for a chance at the NFL and a free education.

"

Can college football go back to not caring about the aggies? That would be nice"

No, it can't. Because we're in the SEC now. That was the brilliance of the move and that's why it's important the conference stays strong.

Ha! You hit the nail on the head with the 'mental midget' part!

There's no point in making new regulations until the NCAA can enforce the ones it already has on the books. That's why I say strengthen the NCAA.

"No shit the higher attended bowl games are down south. That's what happens when all of the major bowl games are down south."

The south's bowl attendance dominates the north from top to bottom. Not just in "major bowl games." So you're wrong on that. You want more and better bowl games up north? Attend the ones you already have, and it might get considered. They just added a bowl game here where I live in Austin. Why aren't they adding them up north? Oh right, people attend.

Teams go to bowl sites a week before the game. Both teams are isolated in the same ways. One team might have a few more fans, but let's not act like that trip from Wisconsin to California (a week before the game) is just neutering the team before they get there.

"Best fans... lol. Having a limited number of pro teams in the SEC area doesn't make them better fans..."

Yes it does. It makes them better college football fans. Just like you'd probably say Browns fans are better than Texans fans. Is a Texans fan gonna respond "no we're just as good of fans, we just have good college ball." That's a ridiculous argument. We're talking about CFB here. If northerners choose to allot their "fan hours" to the pro game, fine. But don't then try to tell us you're bigger college football fans than us. Just like we won't try to say we're better pro fans than you.

Bama went and plowed the only undefeated team in the country 42-14. Spare me the "they didn't deserve to be rated highly because they because teams that had reached their rankings falsely" bs. And again I ask you, should a 7-0 team not have been ranked? I doubt any other power 5 7-0 teams were in ranked that season. So you're complaining about something that, even if SEC bias didn't exist, would still occur. It sounds like you don't just want the SEC on an equal playing field, but rather you want them punished as well.

I'm fine with not ranking them preseason. Don't really care. But SOMEONE, be it official or not, is always going to rank. And the TV networks will always want to give viewers an understanding of how good the teams playing each other are. Do you suggest banning the networks from showing a ranking? Because that's the only way it would work.

Even if rankings were withheld until week 6 as you suggest, A 7-0 MISSISSIPPI STATE WOULD STILL HAVE BEEN RANKED. So Bama still would have gotten a ranked win.

A consistent theme of your argument is that you live in la la land and not the real world. I just gave two solid examples of situations where you're complaining of SEC bias with matters that would still be present whether SEC bias existed or not. It's human nature.

I do root for my team. I say "we" because it annoys you.

"But when you go into a national championship game, and the SEC school has recruited essentially a whole extra class over a 4 year period when compared to the non SEC school, that is a major advantage."

Ya don't say? So a team works within the rules to make itself as good as possible and instead of getting on that team's level, you want to bring that team down. Lame. The football teams exist to win games and entertain fans. Contrary to popular opinion, it ain't all about "developing men of character" and bla bla bla. That's just something weak teams tell themselves to excuse their lack of wind. If you can do both, great. If you can't, you should try to win.

Medical hardships are approved by the NCAA and their process is actually pretty stringent and the bar for receiving one is high. In 8 years or so of following A&M closely, we have never once gotten a medical redshirt. Not a single time. So I really have no idea what you're talking about.

Offers are rarely, if ever, pulled at the last second. I'm sure this is another claim of yours that you can't prove.

Grayshirts are within the rules. Most kids are happy for the opportunity to grayshirt because it gets them an offer they wouldn't otherwise have garnered. You can not grayshirt a kid without his consent. So if you don't like it, don't sign the LOI. If you have grayshirt offers from SEC schools then you likely have real offers from plenty of other schools.

"(Vandy is good and so is UF though)" and so is A&M, and Georgia. Alabama and Auburn are decent.

"But at every school, players get lower entrance standards."

That's true all over the country, not just the SEC. I bet Michigan has lower entrance standards for athletes than regular students. You know why? BECAUSE THE NCAA SETS ENTRANCE STANDARDS FOR ATHLETES. Just because a couple losing programs impose higher standards doesn't mean the rest of us should do it.

Funny, we call it ESiPN down here. Sip being a name for a Texas fan, and the nickname coming from the establishment of the Longhorn Network. ESPN has its tentacles all over the country. Sorry we watch more (but hey, yall have pro teams!!).

Don't really care about satellite camps. In fact I think coaches should hold combines for older guys that never went to school (thus have full eligibility). You could have former drug dealers, burger flippers, etc. be blessed with the opportunity for a chance at the NFL and a free education.

"

Can college football go back to not caring about the aggies? That would be nice"

No, it can't. Because we're in the SEC now. That was the brilliance of the move and that's why it's important the conference stays strong.

Also, don't forget Virginia Tech beat Ohio State during the regular season, a 'southern team'. LOL.

Why would I say Browns fans are better than Texans fans?

Lack of pro teams do not make SEC fans better

There is a difference between ranked and #11

You say we because, as an aggie fan, you've latched on to the SEC's relevance tit

You already admitted your team cheated and that you're fine with it. I don't expect you to understand the implications of oversigning or how it hurts the student athlete

You are saying WE, so my comments refer to the SEC. You can't then jump back and say "well A&M hasn't used medical hardships". You made this an SEC thing, I'm talking about the SEC as a whole. Saban is notorious for booting players out through this method. If SEC teams say "we", they take on all of the other schools transgressions.

Dan Mullen pulled an offer 16 days before a recruit was graduating high school this past year...

Recruits should really refrain from signing LOIs. top recruits at least. No need to get screwed by the school.

Decent... sure.

I never said you had to impose higher standards. You don't have them on regular students, no need to do it for athletes. I said only schools like NW and Stanford are really affected. Michigan has turned away for highly rated recruits for academics before, and they've signed at other D1 schools, but we aren't that affected by it.

You watch more what? You watch your governor praying for rain more?

At least you aren't flipping out about satellite camps like some other SEC fans/coaches. They only hope the players. I wouldn't be surprised if the NCAA backs the SEC and bans them though.

Everything is cyclical. The SEC is already starting their decline. If we get a competent NCAA, and they crack down on some of their antics, it might happen sooner.

We average almost 80,000 people at every SEC game. Yes, we are "better fans." Get over it.

Yes, there is a difference. But Bama folks would still come away saying "we got a ranked win." Maybe you want to evaluate the records during that week and determine where exactly MSU deserved to be ranked? I mean since you're omniscient and all. I know that last year IIRC, there was only one team that made it to 7-0.

We watch more football, as reflected by the payouts for the SEC Network and our regular conference TV contract.

LOL. If satellite camps had started in the SEC you'd be complaining about it being another unfair advantage. Classic. And don't Big 10 teams set up satellite camps in the south? Almost a concession that we have the best players, but I digress.

Yes, everything is cyclical. But we're nowhere near starting our decline. Between the poverty here that helps produce great players that need football, the number of fans going to the games, the decline in interest in CFB in the rest of the country (attendance has been consistently down everywhere but the SEC), the TV markets, etc. We will be fine. Even if we don't dominate the landscape the way we did from 06-12, no conference will be able to make an even remotely legitimate case that they are better. Different conferences might say they're better at different things, but across the board the SEC will reign for awhile.

Whoops I skipped some parts. I'm not defending the SEC selectively and only defending A&M in other situations. I'm just saying that A&M has not once gotten a medical redshirt, so don't try to tell me the NCAA just gives them out like candy to SEC teams. Again, they have a high bar for it. We had a guy go down for the season in the first game of the season last year. He had transferred the year before so he hadn't played in a solid year and a half. The NCAA rejected his medical redshirt petition.

Ok you provided one example with Dan Mullen. Kudos. But he was skewered by many down here and he will suffer consequences recruiting in Texas in the future. So it all works out. It doesn't happen that often and when it does it's not that big of a deal.

I suppose bad schools shouldn't exist? Or shouldn't have football teams? I don't really see your point. But yes I will grant you that teams are benefited when their athletes are less distracted in easier classes. Life is all about trade offs. You wanna be the snooty academicians with saints on your football team, fine. We'll be the winners in football.

Archived